The sudden outbreak of COVD19 has released a world of uncertainty. Dealing with this disruption has been a challenge for businesses of all sizes. It is difficult to envision next month let alone next year! How do you move ahead in this case? These few guidelines can help businesses plan their actions through the pandemic and beyond
- Respond: Response to the crisis situation and manages business continuity
During the crisis situation for most of the businesses the priority has been crisis response and focusing on health, safety, essential services, getting adjusted to remote work culture, and managing workforce remotely.
- Recover: Business disaster recovery and emergence
The recovery process for most businesses is to focus on dealing with the immediate demands of the crisis, planning about new normal. Return and rethinking work, workforce & infrastructure.
- Move Forward: How an organization prepares for and moves ahead with the “new normal”
The following critical actions will help businesses to transition from response to recovery and moving on with the new normal:
- Review what has worked, what are the lessons learned, and what has been missed in the response—Analyzing the situation
- Reassure the employees and stakeholders that their wellbeing and focus on their physical, psychological, and financial concerns—at home and in the workplace is your first priority
- Restructure and redeploy key functions, operations, and the workforce to maximize potential and contribution for rapidly evolving organizational priorities
- Rethink work, workforce, and workplaces to leverage experiences of the COVID-19 response and the opportunity to accelerate the future of work
Building Resilience is no more a choice
The above actions can help businesses to associate the crisis response to the new normal and to create the foundation to move forward in the aftermath of the crisis.
But first, you need to resolve exactly where and how the crisis has affected your existing business model and where the risks and opportunities lie as a result.
Putting together a Risk management team for establishing a protocol for identifying significant disruptions, evaluate their importance for the business continuity, and given the highly disrupted environment, creating a sustainable strategy is of utmost importance.
An adaptive business continuity strategy combined with necessary tools and techniques, periodic reviews so it can respond quickly to the inevitable changes will help your business become more resilient and prepare you to move forward into the new normal.